Global Youth Peace Summit Participation
What to Bring:
- The weather will likely be 90-105 F in the daytime and a little cooler at night. Occasional rain showers are possible. Please dress appropriately.
- Water Bottle, with your name on it (very important!)
- Journal & Writing Pens
- Bathing Towel & Swimming Towel
- Pillow & linens for twin bed
- Fan For Bunk Bed (optional)
- Active Shoes
- Hat Or Head Covering
- Toiletries (toothbrush, etc.)
- Any Musical Instruments you feel called to bring
- Any Medication you need to take. *Please make sure to complete & sign Medical consent form. Please let us know if you have any specific medical needs.*
What Not To Bring:
- Ipods, Walkmans, Cellphones, Gameboys or other Electronics or Toys
- Please do not pack Soda, Sugar, Gum or Candy.
If you bring these items, they will be taken up and returned at the end of the Summit.
Drop Off: Sunday, August 12th
– If you are planning to drive out to the Summit, please arrive at 2:oo pm at John Knox Ranch, 1661 John Knox Road Fischer, TX 78623.
– If you are planning to ride the bus to the Summit, please arrive at Amala at 11:30 am.
Pick Up: Sunday, August 18th
– If you will be picking up your son or daughter at the Summit, please arrive to John Knox Ranch by 2:00 pm
– If your son or daughter is planning to ride the bus from the Summit to the Amala Foundation, please arrive at Amala at 4:00 pm to pick him or her up.
Directions to John Knox Ranch: (From Austin – 60 miles)
Take Highway 290 West out of Austin. About 14 miles outside of Austin you will turn south (left) in Dripping Springs onto RR12. Go another 14 miles into Wimberley. At the third light make a right turn onto River Road. Go about 1 mile and turn right at the stop sign onto Wayside Drive. You will take Wayside Drive for about 6 miles. Wayside Drive crosses several low water crossings (one of which has water over it year-round). John Knox Ranch is immediately on your left after you cross the river. Please enter through our main gate; it is the third one on the left with a large rock sign. If you are coming to John Knox Ranch to drop off or pick up your children for summer resident camp, registration is at the dining hall; it is the first gate on your left after you cross the river, before you go up the hill.
The Amala Foundation provides scholarships to approximately 70% of the youth who attend the Global Youth Peace Summit. Scholarships are provided by local businesses, congregations, associations and individuals like you. It costs $700 to sponsor a youth to attend the Global Youth Peace Summit and $1000 to sponsor a youth to attend the Global Youth Peace Summit AND year-long One Village Project.
Each over-night volunteer is asked to raise or donate a minimum of $300 to help off-set the cost of food and accommodations over the eight days. FirstGiving is an easy-to-use online fundraiser that allows you to raise money by creating a webpage and inviting friends and family to donate to the Global Youth Peace Summit. We recommend sending 2-3 emails to your friends and family over the course of your online fundraiser.
At the Amala Foundation, we recognize that the most direct way to experience a fuller life is to serve others. We unite those seeking more meaningful lives with those in great need by channeling this into humanitarian service projects that matter like the Global Youth Peace Summit.
At the Amala Foundation, we practice a quality of service that is given free of expectation and attachment. We show up willing to grow and be impacted. Regardless of background, we approach one another as brother and sister, human to human.
For volunteers, the Global Youth Peace Summit is a transformational experience like no other. We invite you to treat the Summit as a retreat and show up vulnerable and willing to be impacted. Please note that volunteer space at the Global Youth Peace Summit is limited.